Northwest Florida State College (NWFSC) has earned a reputation for educational excellence and community involvement. Our mission is to improve lives by providing a high-quality, globally competitive education that is a catalyst for cultural, civic and economic development throughout the region. Ingrained in the culture of NWFSC are six values that serve as a driving force for everything we do:
- Integrity: Fostering an environment of transparency, fairness, honesty and accountability where students and employees embrace the highest ethical standards.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Creating a safe and inclusive community with policies, practices, programs and services that create opportunities for everyone to succeed.
- Excellence: Ensuring an exceptional learning environment through high-quality instruction, state-of-the-art facilities, cutting-edge technologies, dedicated support services and access to various learning and research-based teaching methods that meet the needs of all students.
- Stewardship: Embracing practices that demonstrate fiscal, social and environmental responsibility.
- Innovation: Fostering a culture that promotes creative and proactive solutions that are responsive to the needs of our students, employees and community.
- Prosperity and Wellness: Prioritizing personal, professional and academic enrichment by promoting physical, mental and emotional wellness in an enjoyable environment
Environmental stewardship has been an early focus and became more prevalent in the late 1990s when representatives from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP); other state, federal and local government agencies; environmental organizations; and members of the business community sparked a partnership for sustainable development and ecosystem management that is now called the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance of Northwest Florida State College (CBA). CBA’s mission is to promote swimmable, fishable waterways in our community through monitoring, education, restoration and research.
In 2013, NWFSC took environmental stewardship a step further by partnering with Cenergistic to implement a campus-wide sustainability program. The program primarily focused on human-factors in energy consumption, but also installed motion sensor technology, central temperature controls, etc. Due to this program, and thanks to the outstanding support and cooperation of our faculty and staff, the College has benefited from a 63% reduction in energy consumption, resulting in a savings of more than $4.7 million in energy costs through 2019. This significant reduction in energy use had the effect of eliminating carbon production equal to over 74 million miles of automobile travel.
About Northwest Florida State College
Located in the coastal heart of the Florida panhandle, Northwest Florida State College has earned a reputation for educational excellence and community involvement. As part of Florida’s public system of 28 state and community colleges, NWF State College offers bachelor’s degree programs, associate degrees, and certificates. The college’s primary service district stretches from the Gulf of Mexico to the Alabama state line.
Since 1986 Cenergistic has partnered with 1450+ educational, municipal government and healthcare organizations to achieve $5.8 billion in utility savings and cost avoidance. These strong results come from the application of Cenergistic’s organizational behavior-based strategies and are enhanced by our proprietary software platform to drive building and equipment optimization. Our energy conservation program reduces utility consumption by an average of 25% with no capital investment while maintaining or improving the comfort and quality of building environments. For more than a decade, Cenergistic has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year or Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence. To learn more, visit www.cenergistic.com.