Dr. William S. Spears
Cenergistic’s Founder was serving on his local school board when the district embarked on a program to air condition 22 schools (representing two-thirds of the district’s total schools). Engineering projections said the project would increase the district’s annual electricity costs from $1.1 million per year to more than $3 million annually — an increase the district could not afford.
Dr. Spears combined proven business principles, his long-time interest in heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems and a process based on discipline, measurement and accountability to create a program that would reduce energy use while ensuring comfort for building occupants. His program was implemented district-wide, and after tripling the district’s air conditioning load, the electricity bills actually decreased to $900 thousand dollars in the first year.
Word of the district’s success spread, and a state Public Utility Commission official asked Dr. Spears to help another district in need. That district happened to be in his hometown (Lubbock, TX), and they readily agreed to be the first client for a new company.
Thirty-one years later, Cenergistic has helped more than 1,400 clients achieve significant savings without capital investment. The company has been awarded Partner of the Year or Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Winner by the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR® Program nine years in a row, and is the EPA’s most active Service and Product Provider for ENERGY STAR building certifications.
Dr. Spears has 34 years of experience in public school, college, university, large church and healthcare energy management. He served the Wichita Falls Independent School District as Trustee, Board Secretary, Board Vice President and Chairman of the Facilities Committee for six years.
Dr. Spears earned his Doctorate of Business Administration Degree from Wayne Huizenga Graduate School of Business and Entrepreneurship at Nova Southeastern University. He holds an MBA from Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor’s of Science Degree from Oklahoma State University (OSU). In 2004, the Spears School of Business was established at OSU.
Dr. Spears serves on the boards of numerous civic organizations and financial institutions, including:
- American Cancer Society — Board Member, Co-Chairman of Cattle Baron’s Ball Fund Raiser
- Christian Businessmen’s Committee of Wichita Falls, Inc. — Founder, Chairman of the Board
- City National Bank — Director (1969 – 1988), Chairman of Directors’ Loan Committee
- City of Wichita Falls Planning and Zoning Commission — Board Member
- Ford’s Theatre — Founding Member, National Advisory Board
- Insight for Living – Chuck Swindoll Ministries — Board Member, Executive Committee Member
- Interfaith Ministries — Board Member, Chairman of Finance Committee
- Lincoln Forum, Gettysburg, PA — Board Member
- North Texas Council Boy Scouts of America — Board Member
- North Texas Easter Seal Rehabilitation Center — President
- Oklahoma State University — Benefactor, Spears School of Business
- Red River Civil War Roundtable — Founder and President
- Times Publishing Company Charities — Founder and President
- University of Texas Medical School — Board Member
- Times Publishing Company Charities, Founder and President
- U.S. Grant Presidential Library — Board Member
- Wichita Falls Board of Commerce and Industry — Board Member
- Wichita Falls Museum and Art Center — Board Member
- Wichita Falls Symphony — Board Member
- Young Life — Founder and Board Member, Wichita Falls Chapter
Get in touch with Cenergistic!